Young Hearing

(801) 489-7948

Dr. Jared Young Au.D., FAAA, CCC-A

Who Should be Screened for Hearing Loss?

This is reposted from the website. It is by Kevin St.Clergy.

People of any age can be screened for hearing loss. Newborn infants are now routinely screened before leaving the hospital. Most preschoolers and school-age children are screened periodically at their schools or in their doctors’ offices. Adults can receive screenings from their doctor or at health fairs.
Hearing loss increases as a function of age, especially for frequencies of 2000 Hertz (Hz) and above. Sounds above 2000Hz are the soft consonant sounds such as /s/ in “sun” and /th/ in “thumb.” While more than 30% of people over age 65 have some type of hearing loss, 14% of those between 45 and 64 have hearing loss. Close to 8 million people between the ages of 18 and 44 have hearing loss. Adults should be screened at least every decade through age 50 and at 3-year intervals thereafter.
Certainly, anytime you have a concern about your hearing or your child’s hearing, you should ask your doctor about getting a hearing screening. Anyone failing a hearing screening should be referred to a certified audiologist for a more comprehensive audiologic (hearing) evaluation. The follow-up evaluation should be conducted as soon as possible after the failed hearing screening and no more than 3 months later.

Published by Jared Young, Au.D.

As a Doctor of Audiology, my primary objective is to deliver unparalleled hearing health care and support to my valued patients. By using cutting-edge technology and a patient-centered approach, I strive to empower each person to overcome communication challenges and rediscover the joys of active and connected living.

2 thoughts on “Who Should be Screened for Hearing Loss?

  1. My friend’s newborn hasn’t passed her hearing screening 5 times and she is freaked out, wondering if her baby will turn out to be deaf or have hearing loss. I know the baby can fail if there is fluid in her ear canal or if there is excessive noise/movement during the screening.

    Has anyone else have this happen to their baby? What was the result? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    1. Robyn,
      Please encourage your friend to take their baby to an Ear Nose & Throat (ENT) doctor. They will check for ear infections or plugged ear canals. Many ENTs work with an audiologist who could do additional testing, if her baby still has not passed then the ENT will refer them to have an ABR test which will give them an understanding of what the baby can hear.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: